The Alta Ranger Station was built between 1937 and 1939 and was the first official ranger station in Darby. Between 1965 and 1990 this building was used by the Bitterroot Hot Shot Fire Crew. In 1991 it was converted into the Historical Visitors Center. The building is accessible for those with disabilities. Accessible restrooms available
.This Center is part of the Northwest Interpretive Association so books, t-shirts and other items are available for sale. The Center also sells forest service maps, firewood permits, and Christmas tree permits in season. Information brochures, recreation opportunities, weather/road reports are available at the Center. Historic Forest Service items are on display in the building. Picnic tables are located outside.
Directions: Located at 712 North Main across from the Darby grade school. It is adjacent to the Darby Ranger Station on US Highway 93 in Darby, Montana.